The UC Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account) was implemented January 1, 2009.
DepCare FSA Highlights
Academic Student Employees (TAs, Associates, Tutors & Readers) and Graduate Student Researchers appointed at 43.75% time may enroll in this program.
- The employee must enroll during their period of initial eligibility (PIE = 31 days from the appointment begin date) or when they have a change in family or employment status. Employees may not enroll after their PIE expires.
- DepCare FSA allows enrollees to pay for eligible dependent care expenses on a pretax, salary reduction basis.
- The employee forfeits (i.e. “use it or lose it”) any contribution they can’t claim for the plan year.
- The minimum contribution is $180/year, maximum contribution is $5,000/year.
- Monthly deductions are based on the annual contribution elected by the employee divided by the remaining months within a calendar year. NOTE: monthly contributions continue only as long as the employee remains on active pay status and is otherwise eligible.
- Enrollment forms should be submitted by the 15th of the first month of the eligible appointment to meet the monthly payroll deadline.
- For payroll deduction purposes, Readers and Tutors must be set up on a Monthly pay schedule if they wish to enroll in the program.
Employees must re-enroll in the plan if they have a one day break in service/pay.
Eligible employees who wish to enroll in the program should:
- Review the policy: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/other-benefits/flexible-spending-accounts/ase-depcare/index.html
- Complete the following enrollment form: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/forms/pdf/upay-919-ase-gsr.pdf
- Submit to Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs via a Services & Support ticket
IMPORTANT: To meet the payroll deadline, enrollment forms must be submitted to the Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs by the 15th of the month. Payroll deductions will begin on the next payday. Late forms will not be processed until the next month.
See also: Support for Student Parents