Please note the ranking committee for the UC President's Lindau Nobel Laureate Fellows final rankings are expected February 2023. Once the results have been distributed to UC San Diego the recipients will be notified and departments will be updated with the results of the nomination.
2022-23 Call for Nominations
On behalf of Dean James Antony, the UC San Diego Graduate Division is requesting departmental nominations for the UC President’s Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings Fellows. This program is a collaboration between the University of California Office of the President (UCOP) and the Office of the Chief Investment Officer and will provide funding for up to 20 UC students to attend the 2023 Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings in Lindau, Germany. Please read the information below and please nominate your students accordingly.
UC San Diego may put forward 5 nominations.
The Lindau meetings bring together 600 university students and post-doctoral fellows from around the world who spend one-week absorbing lectures by Nobel Laureates and interacting with them in smaller groups to discuss their own research. The theme of the meetings – educate, inspire and connect – has led us to see these meetings as places where our students not only learn but begin to build the research networks that will enrich their lives and help create the broadest sense of community.
The Lindau Interdisciplinary Meeting will be held from June 25 through June 30, 2023, and concentrate on the fields of Medicine, and Physiology.
Fellows may be asked to travel to an orientation meeting prior to the Lindau Nobel Meeting. Expenses associated with that trip and any other trips authorized by the Office of the President for this purpose will be covered.
- Undergraduate students, who exhibit a solid general knowledge of the sciences and have done practical work and/or have laboratory experience
- Master, doctoral students, who show excellent academic accomplishments and have already produced excellent research work, eg. documented by publications, conference presentations, and/or research awards/prizes
- Postdoctoral scientists who have up to 5 years of postdoctoral experience (optimum about 2-3 years after the doctoral degree), have published excellent results, preferably of their own scientific research in refereed journals and as first or last and/or the corresponding author, have presented their work at international scientific meetings, preferably as (invited) lecturers.
- be not older than 35 years of age at the date of the meeting with exceptions for special cases (e.g. maternity leave)
- normally not have a permanent position as this is a criterion for exclusion except in special cases
- not have participated in previous Lindau Meeting
- belong to the top 5 percent of their class
- be fluent in English and prepared to actively participate in discussion with laureates and young scientists
- show a genuine interest and engagement in science and research
- show excellence in their principal field of studies and, in addition, commitment to interdisciplinary work, documented for example by double degrees or interdisciplinary projects in their research work
Nominate students who:
- receive strong support of their application by their academic advisor and/or by an internationally renowned scientist, who knows the applicant well; a detailed letter of recommendation indispensable for the application
- deliver a comprehensive CV together with their applications
- deliver fully completed applications in their online profiles on or before the deadline (incomplete applications will not be considered)
- commit themselves to being present in Lindau for the full duration of the meeting
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of Commitment to attend the entire meeting in Lindau
- Statement of purpose in attending the meeting and how an applicant’s background satisfies the criteria for selection.
Nominations are due by Wednesday, September 21, 2022. We will announce selected awardees shortly thereafter by posting their names/departments below.
Please submit nominations via this Google Form: https://forms.gle/DGS7cQx883ybJLES7