New process effective 03/01/22: we have updated this process and are working to update this Collab page. The new process includes calculating the same total rate that a student should earn for their entire service period. Instead of creating Contract Pay, departments should update the FTE for the appointment to match the dollar amount owed. This new process should reduce errors in student pay, should reduce the number of transactions required to achieve a daily rate, and will require shorter approval time (since a change in FTE can be processed as a PayPath transaction). We are working on a spreadsheet template to help with the calculations. If you would like to test our spreadsheet, please contact Courtney Aguila or Laura Jimenez.
Occasionally an Associate or Teaching Assistant (TA) is appointed for other than the entire quarter. The appointment may begin late or end early. In some cases, a student might add an extra section after the quarter has begun and the TA percent time needs to be increased for part of the quarter. These situations should be avoided whenever possible and are treated as an exception by the Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs.
If the appointment must change mid-quarter, please contact the Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs immediately to determine whether the action will require written approval by the Dean of Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs. Due to the fact that Associates and TAs have a different pay periods versus service periods, these situations require a daily rate of pay calculation.
IMPORTANT: If an Associate or Teaching Assistant ends early and does not work 50% time for at least half the quarter, they become ineligible for the ASE Partial Fee Remission. Any amounts paid to the student account may be removed and the student will be responsible for paying the balance. Be sure to inform the student and contact Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs as needed.
Process and Calculations
- Associate or TA begins service AFTER the start of the quarter
- Associate or TA ends service BEFORE the end of the quarter
- Associate or TA works less than the full term of their appointment, as listed in the offer letter
- Associate or TA works more than the full term of their appointment, as listed in the offer letter (ex. a TA substitutes for another TA for a few days)
- Multiply the 100% monthly rate times three (to equal the 100% rate for the quarter).
- Divide this answer by the number of days in the quarter (to equal the 100% daily rate of pay).
- Multiply the 100% daily rate of pay by the percent of the appointment.
- Multiply this answer by the number of days (Monday through Friday) worked in the quarter.
You can also use this handy workbook to calculate the daily rate:
- FA20 TA Daily Rate of Pay Workbook.xlsx
- WI21 TA Daily Rate of Pay Workbook.xlsx
- SP21 TA Daily Rate of Pay Workbook.xlsx
- FA19 TA Daily Rate of Pay Workbook.xlsx
- WI20 TA Daily Rate of Pay Workbook.xlsx
- SP20 TA Daily Rate of Pay Workbook.xlsx
- FA18 TA Daily Rate of Pay Workbook.xlsx
- WI19 TA Daily Rate of Pay WorkbooK.xlsx
- SP19 TA Daily Rate of Pay Workbook.xlsx
Number of Days in a Quarter
The number of days in each quarter is found on the Registrar’s Academic and Administrative calendar at: http://blink.ucsd.edu/inst ructors/resources/acade mic/calendars/index.html
A 50% fall quarter TA resigns 10/14. The start of the quarter was 9/19 (for this example only); therefore, the student worked from 9/19 to 10/14 for a total of 20 days (M-F). The quarter has 60 days (for this example only).
The calculations are as follows:
$4119.56 (use current monthly salary) x 3 (months in quarter) = $12,358.68
$12,358.68 = 205.98
(days in quarter)
205.98 x 0.50 (percent time) = 102.989 (daily rate of pay)
102.99 x 20 (days worked) = 2059.80
The total payment to the student is $2059.80
UCPath for Graduate Student Employment