Departments can nominate applicants that they wish to admit for Diversity Fellowships in Slate. Depending on your department's process of nominating applicants for these awards, this may either be done before or after these students have been nominated for admission to the program. Each department may nominate a total of three applicants for the fellowships below. Applicants may be nominated for the following diversity fellowships:
|Tribal Membership Initiative (TMI)|
|Sloan Scholar (Physics & JSOE only)|
For each department, the Graduate Coordinators (or anyone with a Graduate Coord./Admin role) will be the ones to move Fellowship nomination applications from bin to bin, similar to the process for nominating for admission. Queries will be available for Graduate Coordinators to access when the department is determining who qualifies for the Fellowships. To access this query, please reach out to your department's Graduate Admissions Evaluator, and they will create the query for you to view.
To view the query:
- Whenever you would like to view a query, click on the Query tool, which is located at the top of the screen and is second icon from the left. After clicking on this button, you will be taken to the page with all of your queries.
- On the right side of the screen, make sure that you have selected "Include Shared Queries" as well as "Query Templates" under the "Folders" section. Be sure that you have set your realm to your department's realm. You should see the Query labeled "[Department Name] - Fellowship recommendations." Click on this and proceed to run the query.
- Once you run the query, you should see all the applicants that are eligible to nominate for a Fellowship (those who answered at least 2 of the 7 "Additional Educational Experiences" questions in the application). The query will also include the number of Reviewers that have recommended the applicant for the Fellowships. This should assist you with narrowing down nominees to move forward and have considered by the Fellowship Committee.
To Nominate Applicants in the Fellowship Workflow:
- First, go into the reader tool and click on the "Fellowships" Workflow. Go to the "Browse" tab to view all the bins:
- The "Applicants" bin will hold all applicants that have been nominated by the department for admission. This bin is where you will go to select the students that you wish to nominate for the fellowships.
- There is no review form in the "Applicants" bin. You will simply be moving the applications to the "Short-List" bin. To move the desired applicants to the next bin, begin by searching their name in the "Search" tab and click on the paper icon to the right of the application.
- This will take you directly into the application. Click on the Applicant name and Applicant ID on the top left of the page, which will prompt a window to pop up. Then click on the "Edit Bin/Queue" button.
- Under the "Bin" drop-down, select the next bin that you will need to move the application to. This will need to be the "Dept Fellowship Review - Short-List" option. Do not send the application to any other bin, as a review form will need to be submitted by the department from the Short-List bin.
- Add yourself as a Reader so that you may complete the review form. Click "Save" when finished.
- Applications that you have narrowed down will now be in the "Short-List" bin. This bin is where you will go to select which Fellowship you wish to grant to the applicants.
- First, add all of the applicants to your queue so that you will be able to access the Review Form. You may do this by clicking all of the applications, followed by clicking the "Add to Queue" button on the top right of the screen.
- Once all of the applicants have been added to your queue, you can start reviewing. Go into a student's application and click the "Review Form / Send to Bin" on the bottom right of the screen. The Review Form will pop up.
- Select the Fellowship you wish to nominate the student for and upload the Fellowship Nomination Form and Letter to the Review Form. Please note that you must upload the Fellowship Nomination Form and Letter in this Review Form in order for the applicant to be considered for a Fellowship.
- Click "Send" when you have finished, and the application will be sent to the "Nominations" bin for the Nomination Committee to review.
- After completing this process, send the Fellowship nominations to the "Nominations" bin for the Fellowship Review Committee to view. Students nominated by the Fellowship Committee will be sent to the "Awarded" bin. Fellowship nominations that the Committee does not grant an offer to will be sent to the "Denied" bin.