Dear STEM Deans, Chairs, and Coordinators,
I am delighted to announce that the Graduate Division will again be accepting nominations for the Schmidt Science Fellows program. I invite you to nominate your soon-to-be and newest Ph.D. alumni for this exciting program. Please help us assemble an outstanding group of nominees with both disciplinary and demographic diversity, by nominating your top students for this program by May 4th, 2022. UC San Diego will nominate 7 applicants to represent the university.
The goal of the program aims to develop the next generation of science leaders to transcend disciplines, advance discovery, and solve the world’s most pressing problems. Schmidt Science Fellows are expected to be future leaders and should demonstrate a keen interest in harnessing interdisciplinarity and interaction with wider society to accelerate discovery to achieve global impact. Fellows will be supported by the program to undertake a full-time, postdoctoral study for at least one year in a world-leading laboratory in a field different from their existing area of expertise.
More about Schmidt Science Fellows Program: https://schmidtsciencefellows.org/overview/
- Fellows receive a stipend of $100,000.
- Effective from the 2021 cohort onwards, our Fellows will have the option of a 12–24-month research placement from the outset, supported by a stipend of US$100,000 per year for a total of up to $200,000.
- Five weeks during their fellowship year at four residential meetings around the globe.
- Have conducted their graduate degree in the natural sciences (Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Earth Sciences), Engineering, Mathematics, or Computing – and all sub-disciplines.
- Candidates must have a keen interest in undertaking an interdisciplinary research pivot during a postdoctoral placement.
Have completed, or expect to complete, all of the requirements for the conferral of their PhD in one of these fields between 01 June 2022 and 30 July 2023.
- Be available for the entire period of the 2023 program, from July 2023 to September 2024 including attendance of the Global Meeting Series (whether virtual or in-person, as conditions allow, and including additional virtual programming).
- More about eligibility: https://schmidtsciencefellows.org/selection/eligibility/
- Extraordinary achievement – Clear record of academic achievement of the highest quality in the sciences and extraordinary degree of intelligence.
- Scientific Curiosity and Innovation – High degree of intellectual curiosity combined with energy and creativity; a record of continuous innovation and/or use of new technologies.
- Alignment with the Program – Interest in pursuing 12-24 months of postdoctoral study in a field different from the applicant's PhD discipline and a belief that interdisciplinary science and the taking of appropriate scientific risks are important for the advancement of discovery.
- Collaborative spirit – Demonstrated history of effective collaboration with diverse team members.
- Global ambitions for social good – Desire to use one's personal talents and science to make a positive difference in society and the world.
- Character and Leadership – A genuine and demonstrable potential for science leadership; displaying perseverance, resilience, a moral compass, and a galvanizing force of personality.
To learn more about the kind of Fellows we are looking for, please visit our website. In particular, we recommend you view our Fellow profiles at https://schmidtsciencefellows.org/fellows/ and the feature video on ‘What Makes a Schmidt Science Fellow?’
- We encourage our Fellows to take a risk in their Fellowship year and to think deeply about where they may undertake their interdisciplinary pivot.
- More about criteria: https://schmidtsciencefellows.org/selection/criteria/
There is no limit for nominees a department may put forward. Please include the following:
- Letter of nomination from the PI, Chair, or program director, which addresses the criteria stated on the Schmidt Science fellows program announcement and website.
- Nominee statement of interest in the program, including a likely field of postdoctoral study. (2 page max)
- CV of the nominee.
Upload nomination materials here:
This is the information that will be requested in the Google Form: UC San Diego: Schmidt Science Fellows Nomination Form.pdf
For additional information, please see visit the Schmidt Science Fellows’ website.
More information about the selection process and timeline: https://schmidtsciencefellows.org/selection/
If you have any questions please send an email to email@example.com.
May 4th, 2022 at 2:30 pm.
If your student is selected as an institutional nominee, they will receive a code from Graduate Division. They will be required to use their code to initiate their application and supply contact details and other preliminary information beginning May 13,2022 - June 1, 2022. Candidates will then have until July 18, 2022 to complete their full application. An extensive timeline can be found here. https://schmidtsciencefellows.org/selection/
Visit Schmidt Science Fellows Program Fellows Page to see past recipients.
Read more about UC San Diego's 2020 recipient.