Call for Nominations
On behalf of Dean James Antony, I am happy to announce that the Friends of the International Center (Friends) will again be awarding scholarships to UCSD graduate students for 2021-22. Founded in 1961, the Friends support international education at UCSD in numerous ways, one of which is raising money for and awarding student scholarships.
A note about the COVID-19: This award often supports students that travel abroad. Although travel may be restricted, rescheduled, or delayed during this time, the spirit of the award remains the same. The committee is fully aware of this and will keep this in mind as they review applications for this year.
About the Award
- The selection of students for the scholarships will be made by the Friends Scholarship Committee.
- Up to 30 graduate scholarships of $2,000 each will be awarded.
- Each graduate academic program may nominate a maximum of three outstanding graduate students for the Friends awards
- Nominees must be enrolled full-time in a UC San Diego matriculating graduate degree conferring program.
- UC San Diego graduate students planning to conduct research or study abroad. (The Scholarship Committee is aware that the coronavirus pandemic has significantly impacted travel and will consider future intention to conduct research or study abroad as fulfilling this criterion.)
- Foreign graduate students in residence at UC San Diego during 2021-22.
- Students must have a distinguished academic record.
- The student must have completed one year of full-time graduate study for the Ph.D., D.M.A., M.F.A., or M.P.I.A. at UCSD by the time of award.
- Students must be registered for a full-time program of study and research in 2021-22 at UC San Diego or, in the case of foreign student nominees, will be on campus at UC San Diego in 2021-22.
- Students who promote international friendship, understanding, and cooperation in a meaningful way.
- U.S. graduate students participating in a University of California EAP program should apply through the Study Abroad office (http://studyabroad.ucsd.edu/ ).
- The following degree programs are not eligible:
- School of Medicine M.D. (currently listed)
- Skaggs School of Pharmacy Pharm.D. and Masters Degree in Drug Development & Product Management
- Rady School of Management M.B.A.
If your department will nominate two or more students, please ranks your nominees with #1 being the strongest candidate.
Please submit the following for each student applicant:
- Letter from the department chair or graduate advisor containing:
- An evaluation of the nominee's graduate performance to date and potential for future contributions to research or artistic activity in the student's discipline.
- Other support the student is receiving and the student's financial need, if any.
- Contribution the student has made, if any, to promote international friendship, understanding, and cooperation at UC San Diego.
- Program ranking, if more than one student is nominated.
- Statement from the nominee
- Two-page maximum
- In the statement, the nominee should describe their qualifications for the award, graduate study, career plans, financial need, past and proposed contributions to promoting international friendship and understanding at UC San Diego. The nominee should also explain their intended use of the award.
- A willingness to volunteer, mentor and/or pay it forward with their peers is encouraged though not a requirement.
- A willingness to meet with one or more of their donors is encouraged though not a requirement.
- Student's vitae with current email and mailing address.
- Student's current transcript. (Unofficial is acceptable.)
- Monday, April 12, 2021
- Only department submissions will be accepted; students and faculty must work with their departments and may not self-nominate.
- The Friends will select the scholars shortly thereafter
- Submit your nomination via the Google Form linked below: