Eligibility Last Updated
SP21 eligibility for NRST coverage has been updated 3/8/21.
For more information, please expand "For Graduate Coordinators / Financial Staff > Eligibility" below.
The below information pertains to post-candidacy NRST coverage for COVID-affected quarters (i.e., students who have exceeded the typical 9-quarter waiver period granted by UCOP).
GSGEI / Pre-candidacy Coverage
Update on 07/27/21 - For those students wishing to apply for a change of residency status (NONRESIDENT to RESIDENT) for the Fall 2021 quarter, you may apply for a Change of Residency Classification beginning August 2nd – September 3rd, 2021. Full email from the Residence Deputy here; Change of Classification Petition here.
The list of eligible students is shared with Graduate Coordinators. If you have questions regarding your NRST coverage, please first check in with your Graduate Coordinator (they can escalate inquiries to the Graduate Division if necessary).
Please review the Criteria to Establish Residence for Tuition Purposes. If you qualify for California residency and file to establish residency with the Residence Deputy, you will not be charged NRST (eliminating the need for coverage). For assistance or questions regarding California residency, contact the Residence Deputy ( email@example.com).
- Note: if you are eligible for California residency and have not filed with the Residence Deputy by the quarterly deadline, NRST will not be covered.
- The updated list of eligible students can be accessed here: Students Eligible for COVID-19 NRST Coverage Extension (Google Sheets)
- Access to this document is limited to Graduate Coordinators and Department Business Officers via UC San Diego Active Directory credentials.
- The list displays current quarter eligibility. Students who are still within their waiver period do not appear on the list.
- If you believe an eligible student is missing from the list and/or did not receive the appropriate coverage, please submit a ticket at support.ucsd.edu/students:
- Payments will be made for eligible students automatically (the Google form used for FA20 will not be required). If any payment appears to have been missed or requires correction, please submit a ticket at support.ucsd.edu/students as outlined above under "Eligibility".
- If a student was eligible for coverage in FA20 but NRST was paid via department or other discretionary, FSU staff will adjust the payment in the Financial Support Request Tool (FSRT) to credit the discretionary source for FA20.
- If a student is eligible for coverage in WI21 or SP21, FSU staff will coordinate the payment in the FSRT.
- The process for FA21 and beyond is tbd; please check back here for updates.