How to Use this Manual
This document contains the policy and procedures for the following:
- Graduate students employed on student academic titles
- The Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs policy for hiring graduate students on student staff titles
- Medical student and Pharm D employment
- Non-students appointed as Tutors and Readers
- Non-UC Visiting Graduate Student
View a quick start guide here: So You Want to Hire a Graduate Student....
Delegation of Authority
The Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs is the final approval authority for a graduate student employed on a student academic title or student staff title with the following conditions:
- The appropriate Divisional Dean is the appointing authority for a graduate student appointed as an Associate-In (Teaching a Course). The Dean of the Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs must review and approve the file prior to the appointment.
- Student Employment Office (SEO), a Division of the Career Services Center, must pre-approve the employment of a graduate student on a student staff title (a casual-restricted employee). Use of these titles is under the jurisdiction of Career Services, requires the approval of the graduate department, and is subject to the final approval of the Dean.
- The employment of graduate students as UC San Diego career employees is handled as follows:
- For current UC San Diego career staff employees who become graduate students, the appropriate authority is Central Human Resources and the Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs.
- All other graduate students are under the jurisdiction of the Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs, which does not allow employment into a UC San Diego staff position (career, limited or temporary).
The Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs periodically reviews payroll actions and will contact the funding source to make necessary corrections if needed. In addition, the Division of Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs has the authority to terminate any action not in compliance with stated graduate student policy and procedures.
After obtaining pre-approval from the student's Academic Home Department and confirming eligibility to work in the proposed title, the Hiring Department should initiate the creation of Positions and the Hire or Concurrent Hire process in UCPath. The expectation is that hiring departments will manage the appointments through the duration and life cycle of the appointment. This includes the termination of the appointment and any subsequent funding changes that may occur once the appointment has ended.
Students with Fellowships
Many students will have multiple, and often overlapping, sources of funding during their time at UC San Diego. While it may be appropriate to make updates to funding packages, it is NEVER appropriate to hire a student in any title if the intention is that they should be paid via a stipend. Retroactive changes to payroll entries can have serious and irreversible impacts on students' tax liabilities and payments.