Departments can nominate applicants for Diversity Fellowships in Slate. Fellowship nominations may be made either before or after applicants have been nominated for admission to the program. However, fellowship nominations will not be reviewed until applicants have been provisionally admitted.
Each department may nominate up to a total of three (3) applicants for the San Diego, Cota Robles, and SEED Fellowships. At this time there is no limit on the number of nominations for the Tribal Membership Initiative, STARS, and UC HBCU fellowships which require verification of participation or affiliation.
|Tribal Membership Initiative (TMI)|
|Sloan Scholar (Physics & JSOE only)|
For each department, the Graduate Coordinators (or anyone with a Graduate Coord./Admin role) will be the ones to move Fellowship nomination applications from bin to bin, similar to the process for nominating for admission. Queries will be available for Graduate Coordinators to access when the department is determining who qualifies for the Fellowships. To access this query, please reach out to your department's Graduate Admissions Evaluator, and they will create the query for you to view.
To view the query and create your Short-list:
Before nominating applicants in the Fellowship Workflow, departments may run a query to see which applicants have answered at least two of the seven "Additional Education Experience" questions and view which Faculty reviewers have nominated the applicants for the Fellowships. This query can help you to identify and narrow down the department's list of applicants that will be nominated for Fellowships. Once the department has narrowed down the list, you may begin nominating applicants for Fellowships in the Fellowship Workflow found in the Reader.
- To view a query, click on the Query tool, which is located at the top of the screen and is second icon from the left. After clicking on this button, you will be taken to the page with all of your queries.
- On the right side of the screen, make sure that you have selected "Include Shared Queries" as well as "General Queries" under the "Folders" section. Be sure that you have set your realm to your department's realm. You should see the Query labeled "[Department Name] - Fellowship recommendations." Click on this and proceed to run the query.
- Once you run the query, you should see all the applicants that are eligible to nominate for a Fellowship (those who answered at least 2 of the 7 "Additional Educational Experiences" questions in the application). The query will also include the number of Reviewers that have recommended the applicant for the Fellowships. This should assist you with narrowing down nominees to move forward and have considered by the Fellowship Committee.
To Nominate Applicants in the Fellowship Workflow
Part I: Upload Nomination Materials to the Student Record
- San Diego, Cota Robles, or SEED Fellowship
- Fellowship Nomination Form
- Faculty Nomination letter
- Tribal Membership Initiative
- Tribal affiliation documentation
- Sloan Scholar Award
- Faculty Nomination Letter
- Katzin Prize
- Faculty nomination letter
- Financial Support Letter
STARS and UC HBCU fellowships require verification of participation but do not require materials to be uploaded to the Student Record.
Please Note: Instructions on how to upload a new material to the Student Record can be found in the "Uploading New Materials Through the Student Record" page. Please be sure to read through the entire page for specific Fellowship information.
Part 2: Nominating in the Reader
- First, go into the reader tool and click on the "Fellowships" Workflow. Go to the "Browse" tab to view all the bins:
- The "Applicants" bin will hold all applicants that have been nominated by the department for admission. This bin is where you will go to select the students that you wish to nominate for the fellowships.
- There is no review form in the "Applicants" bin. You will simply be moving the applications to the "Short-List" bin. To move the desired applicants to the next bin, begin by searching their name in the "Search" tab and click on the paper icon to the right of the application.
- This will take you directly into the application. Click on the Applicant name and Applicant ID on the top left of the page, which will prompt a window to pop up. Then click on the "Edit Bin/Queue" button.
- Under the "Bin" drop-down, select the next bin that you will need to move the application to. This will need to be the "Dept Fellowship Review - Short-List" option. Do not send the application to any other bin, as a review form will need to be submitted by the department from the Short-List bin.
- Add yourself as a Reader so that you may complete the review form. Click "Save" when finished.
- Applications that you have narrowed down will now be in the "Short-List" bin. This bin is where you will go to select which Fellowship you wish to grant to the applicants.
- First, add all of the applicants to your queue so that you will be able to access the Review Form. You may do this by clicking all of the applications, followed by clicking the "Add to Queue" button on the top right of the screen.
- Once all of the applicants have been added to your queue, you can start reviewing. Go into a student's application and click the "Review Form / Send to Bin" on the bottom right of the screen. The Review Form will pop up.
- Select the Fellowship you wish to nominate the student for. Click "Send" when you have finished, and the application will be sent to the "Nominations" bin for the Nomination Committee to review.
- After completing this process, send the Fellowship nominations to the "Nominations" bin for the Fellowship Review Committee to view. Students nominated by the Fellowship Committee will be sent to the "Awarded" bin. Fellowship nominations that the Committee does not grant an offer to will be sent to the "Denied" bin.