The FIC student support program began with a single award in 1975 and at its peak, before the pandemic of 2020, awarded 41 scholarships to undergraduate students and 32 fellowships to graduate students. Over the life of the FIC student support program, it has awarded over $1 million to UC San Diego scholars. Upon the dissolution of FIC in 2021, a new endowment fund was created to support graduate student fellowships in perpetuity. The Graduate Division will be awarding Friends of the International Center (Friends) will again be awarding scholarships fellowships to UC San Diego graduate students for 20212022-2223.
About the Award
- The selection of students for the 20212022-22 23 scholarships will be made by the Friends Scholarship Committeea committee, in consultation with a representative from the former FIC.
- Up to 30 graduate scholarships to 15 graduate fellowships of $2,000 each will be awarded for 2022-23.
- Each graduate academic program may nominate a maximum of three of two outstanding eligible graduate students for the Friends these awards.
- Nominees must be enrolled full-time in a UC San Diego matriculating graduate degree conferring program.
- UC San Diego graduate students planning to conduct research or study abroad. (The Scholarship Committee review committee is aware that the coronavirus pandemic has significantly impacted travel and will consider future intention to conduct research or study abroad as fulfilling this criterion.)
- Foreign graduate students in residence at UC San Diego during 20212022-2223.
- Students must have a distinguished academic record.
- The student must have completed one year of full-time graduate study for the Ph.D., D.M.A., M.F.A., or M.P.I.A. at UCSD UC San Diego by the time of award.
- Students must be registered for a full-time program of study and research in 20212022-22 23 at UC San Diego or, in the case of foreign student nominees, will be on campus at UC San Diego in 20212022-2223.
- Students who promote international friendship, understanding, and cooperation in a meaningful way.U.S. graduate students participating in a University of California EAP program should apply through the Study Abroad office (http://studyabroad.ucsd.edu/ ).
- The following degree programs are not eligible:
- School of Medicine M.D. (currently listed)
- Skaggs School of Pharmacy Pharm.D. and Masters Degree in Drug Development & Product Management
- Rady School of Management M.B.A.
If your department will nominate two or more students, please ranks your nominees with #1 being the strongest candidate.
- Letter from the department chair or graduate advisor containing:
- An evaluation of the nominee's graduate performance to date and potential for future contributions to research or artistic activity in the student's discipline.
- Other support the student is receiving and the student's financial need, if any.
- Contribution the student has made, if any, to promote international friendship, understanding, and cooperation at UC San Diego.
- Program ranking, if more than one student is nominated.
- Statement from the nominee
- Two-page maximum
- In the statement, the nominee should describe their qualifications for the award, graduate study, career plans, financial need, past and proposed contributions to promoting international friendship and understanding at UC San Diego. The nominee should also explain their intended use of the award.
- A willingness to volunteer, mentor and/or pay it forward with their peers is encouraged though not a requirement.
- A willingness to meet with one or more of their donors is encouraged though not a requirement.
- Student's vitae with current email and mailing address.
- Student's current transcript. (Unofficial is acceptable.)
- Monday, April 12March 28, 20212022
- Only department submissions will be accepted; students and faculty must work with their departments and may not self-nominate.
- The Friends will select the scholars shortly thereafter
- Submit your nomination
- Generally, the call for nominations happens annually in February, this past year's process was delayed due to the pandemic and staffing transitions.
- Scholars will be selected and notified shortly thereafter
- Department representatives should submit nominations via the Google Form linked below: