Collab has been migrated to Please do not make any edits in this site. Find out more.

Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

Policy Exceptions

UI Expand
titleAcademic Year Appointments Over 50% Time

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents

The employment of a graduate student over 50% time during the academic year requires the prior written approval by:

  • All hiring departmentsDepartments/programs Programs and/or funding sources involved
  • The student’s graduate academic home department Academic Home Department's Chair
  • The Dean of Graduate Division
  • Additionally, the endorsement of the student’s academic advisor is required

In general, a request for exception up to a maximum of 75% time will be considered.  GSRs may not be appointed over 49.99% during the academic months; no exceptions can be made to this policy.

IMPORTANT:  Students appointed over 50% may be eligible for core benefits as outlined in Chapter 13.

International Students 

An international student in F-1 or J-1 status is restricted to on-campus employment of a maximum of 50% time (20 hours per week) during the academic year.  During the summer, 100% employment is allowed (depending on the student’s academic department Academic Department support policy) if the student intends to enroll full time Fall quarter and meets all other eligibility criteria.  No exceptions are permitted to these rules.  Contact the Global Education Division with questions.

UI Expand
titleAcademic Student Employee (ASE) Exceptions

Associate (teaching a course) or Teaching Assistant (TA) Appointments Less Than Entire Quarter and Change in Percent Time

It is an exception to appoint a Teaching Assistant for less than the entire quarter or to increase the percent time mid-quarter.  The action requires pre-approval by staff in the Graduate Division Financial Support Unit (FSU). The FSU staff will determine if the situation also requires a formal exception letter and consideration by the Dean of Graduate Division.  The action also requires special coordination with the Payroll Office since paychecks are not automatically generated.

TAs have a pay period in the Payroll system (three full months) but a service period of the actual quarter dates.  If a student does not work the entire quarter (begins late or ends early) or changes the percent time mid-quarter, the action requires that you calculate the TA daily rate of pay with FSU staff assistance. 

See Chapter 5: Guide for Teaching Assistants and Calculating a Daily Rate of Pay

Also, be aware that if the student does not work the equivalent of 50% time for half of the quarter, they will become ineligible for the TAHI/TAFE payments and will be billed by the University.  This is another reason why you must contact FSU staff prior to inputting the action into the Payroll system.

Associate (in-lieu-of-TA) Title in Other Than Approved Programs

The Associate (in-lieu-of TA) title has been approved for specific programs including:

  • Department of Cognitive Science
  • Department of Political Science
  • Department of Psychology
  • Department of Sociology
  • Teaching + Learning Commons, Center for Engaged Teaching
  • The Division of Biological Sciences

Any other departmental usage requires the approval of the Dean of the Graduate Division.

Non-Student Tutors and Readers

For information about non-student appointments please see Chapter 9: Guide for Non-Students

Tutor Title in Other than Approved Programs

Only programs that have received prior approval by the Graduate Division may use the Tutor title code.

UI Expand
titleGraduate Student Researcher Exceptions

GSR Not Meeting Eligibility Criteria

It is an exception to appoint a Graduate Student Researcher on Tuition/Fee Remission who does not meet all of the five criteria for appointment.  A request for exception must receive pre-approval from the Dean of the Graduate Division.

See Chapter 8: Guide for Graduate Student Researchers

GSRTF on 99100A or Other Funds Not Automatically Accepting T/F Remission Charge

There are some 99100A funds do not allow GSRTF such as American Cancer, American Heart, and March of Dimes; therefore, all GSRTF charges on a general fund (99100A) go through a clearing account managed by the Director, Graduate Student Financial Support.

Prior to hiring a GSR on a 99100A fund, the hiring department must submit a “GSRTF Clearing Account or Recharge Action Form”.  The form is available on the Employment Forms page.

UI Expand
titleNon-Degree Student in Academic Titles

The appointment of a non-degree graduate student (a student admitted to Non-Degree status) on an academic title requires prior written approval by the student’s graduate departmentDepartment/group Program Chair and the Dean of Graduate Division.  Exceptions will be considered if all degree students in the department Department are fully supported and that the non-degree student is not taking away support from a degree student (a student admitted for a Master’s or doctoral Doctoral degree).

Exception Requests

Employment Exception Request Guidelines