Call For Applications 2020
|Table of Contents|
On behalf of Dean James Antony, I am happy to announce that the Friends of the International Center (Friends) will again be awarding scholarships to UCSD graduate students and medical students for 2020-21. Founded in 1961, the Friends support international education at UCSD in numerous ways, one of which is raising money for and awarding student scholarships.
- Graduate students planning to conduct research or study abroad.
- Foreign graduate students in residence at UCSD during 2020-21.
- Student must have a distinguished academic record.
- The student must have completed one year of full-time graduate study for the Ph.D., D.M.A., M.F.A., M.P.I.A., or M.D. at UCSD by the time of award.
- Students must be registered for a full-time program of study and research in 2020-21 or, in the case of foreign student nominees, will be on campus at UCSD in 2020-21.
- Students who promote international friendship, understanding, and cooperation in a meaningful way.
- U.S. graduate students participating in a University of California EAP program should apply through the Study Abroad office (http://studyabroad.ucsd.edu/ ).
About the Award:
- The selection of students for the scholarships will be made by the Friends Scholarship Committee.
- Up to 30 graduate scholarships of $2,000 each will be awarded.
- Each graduate academic program may nominate a maximum of three outstanding graduate students for the Friends awards
- Additionally, the School of Medicine may nominate six medical students. Up to four scholarships of $2,000 each will be awarded.
If your department will nominate two or more students, please ranks your nominees with one being the strongest candidate.
Please submit the following for each student applicant:
- Letter from the department chair or graduate advisor containing:
- An evaluation of the nominee's graduate performance to date and potential for future contributions to research or artistic activity in the student's discipline.
- Other support the student is receiving and the student's financial need, if any.
- Contribution the student has made, if any, to promoting international friendship, understanding, and cooperation at UCSD.
- Program ranking, if more than one student is nominated.
- Statement from the nominee
- Two-page maximum
- In the statement, the nominee should describe their qualifications for the award, graduate study, career plans, financial need, past and proposed contributions to promoting international friendship and understanding at UCSD.
- A willingness to volunteer and/or participate in Friends programs is encouraged though not a requirement.
- Student's vitae with current email and mailing address.
- Student's current transcript. (Unofficial is acceptable.)
- Thursday February 26, 2020
- Please submit nominations to email@example.com
- Only department submissions will be accepted; students and faculty must work with their departments and may not self-nominate.
- The Friends will select the scholars shortly thereafter